Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Some people's children . . .

Other alternative titles for this post would be "The One Thing I Didn't Want to Buy at Summerfest" or "Should I be offended, flattered, or just grateful?"

I went to Summerfest with 3 of my friends. I love Summerfest. There is something so nice about being outside and seeing how amazingly talented and creative people are. It's so nice to spend an evening outside and enjoy good food. The ambiance is one of my favorite things. This year was no exception except the evening had a somewhat odd beginning.

My friends and I were sitting at the pioneer statue near the front of the Logan Tabernacle which was the agreed-upon meeting place. We were visiting with each other while waiting to see if anybody else was going to meet us before we wandered off to partake of the food goodness that is Summerfest and covet the incredible arts and crafts. I noticed a guy sitting across from us eavesdropping on our conversation. I was a little weirded out, but not really until he got up to talk to us. I watched him get up and saunter over to us and I remember thinking to myself, "Please don't come over here . . . please don't come over here . . . oh crap . . . he's coming over here." He was wearing jeans, a short-sleeved button-down shirt that was unbuttoned to the creepy level (you know the level I'm talking about) and showcasing a key on a blue piece of curling ribbon. He had a corny smile on his face and said, "Are any of you ladies single?"

In my mind, there was no good answer to the question. If I was honest and said yes, I was afraid of what the followup question might be. If I said no, I would have been lying. While I was debating in my mind, one of us said, "Yes, we are all single." It turns out my fear of the followup question was justified. "Would any of you like to French kiss me?" I think all of our jaws dropped. We looked at each other uncomfortably. He then said something about money changing hands. I was still too shocked to fully absorb what he was saying. Something about a "couple of bucks." He then proceeded to point with his foot at Lark and Jamie and said, "I'd especially like to kiss you or you." At that point, we had gathered our wits enough to pass on his offer and excuse ourselves.

As we were walking away, Lynette and I didn't know whether we should be offended that he didn't want to kiss us, flattered that he didn't choose us, or just grateful that he didn't. We opted for grateful . . . grateful that we live in Logan where kissing was the request instead of something else, grateful that none of us were alone, and grateful for a good laugh. Later, I saw the guy again. I was already thinking that this story needed to be written down so I proceeded to sneakily stalk him to try to get a picture to remember my gratitude. None of them are good because the sun was setting and we were both moving, but for what they are worth, here are 3 pictures of what could have been . . .


1 comment:

Tia said...

Creeeeeepy! *shudder*