
Don't judge a book by its title! I had heard people talking about this book, but I put off reading it until a lady I work with recommended it. I thought the title sounded very odd. Potato peel pie? Seriously? And a society associated with it? I gave it a chance and I really loved this book. I love a book that makes me think, but doesn't make me think too hard (Grapes of Wrath anybody?). This book is set on the island of Guernsey which I knew nothing about except I'd heard of a Guernsey cow and knew that it was spelled weird. Now I want to visit it!
This book is different in that it's written in letters back and forth between an author living in Great Britain and members of this literary society in Guernsey (an island in the English Channel). Here's one thing it made me think about: The letters exchanged between characters in the book were so rich and telling of the characters' personalities, their perceptions of the same events, and their deepest desires. It was an interesting way to write a book. The period the book is set in (shortly after WWII) makes it so letters are the only true means of communication the characters have available to them. Letters and telegrams - not even really telephone calls let alone texting, e-mailing, tweeting, facebooking, blogging, smoke signaling, and all the other ways we have of communicating with one another today. Are we missing out on a rich form of communication? Has technology robbed us? I know that I treasure handwritten notes, no matter how brief. The fact that someone took the time to sit down and write out something to me rather than typing or abbreviating every other word in a text message means something. Maybe I am old fashioned. That being said, I certainly wouldn't give up technology. It's a great way to keep in touch and even to meet new people you wouldn't have met otherwise [(Hi Camille!) or should I say {Hi Camille!}]. This was just some potato peel pie for thought. Yum!
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. It's a quick, easy read and it made me laugh, cry, and warmed my heart.
3 comments:
I am so glad to see this review! I have picked this book up several times in the bookstore and then put it down again because I thought the name sounded cheesy. I never really knew what it was about though. Maybe I should give it a second look...
P.S. I ADORE the blue and white on your blog. Delicious!
I linked to your blog from Marriage Confessions comments where I saw you talk about this book- I happened to read it this summer when I was visiting my grandmother and looking for something to read- she had just finished it.
I, too, thought it was neat the way it was written through letters. As far as thinking, it made me think more about all the rebuilding that had to be done after WWII!
I can't believe you read this book! I read it in May and loved it. It really is kindof cool how the author writes. Since it is in letter format I didn't feel like I had to commit to reading a whole chapter if I didn't have time. Glad you liked it! And yes, we will have to make a trip to Guernsey sometime. :-)
Post a Comment