Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Everyday Heroes


I need to post about my epic Canadian vacation of awesomeness, but a few events over the weekend and yesterday have been on my mind. Saturday evening, I watched a movie on TV about Flight 93. I was so moved by the actions of the passengers on that plane. I had tears streaming down my face as they said their goodbyes to their families and loved ones. If that plane had hit its likely intended target of the Capitol building or the White House, I can't even fathom how much worse September 11, 2001 would have been for our country. These courageous passengers didn't ask for the situation they were placed in, yet rose to the occasion and made the ultimate sacrifice in order to save the lives of many. Remembering those who lost their lives on September 11, where I was that fateful day and how I felt made for a somber Sunday for me, but I feel incredible gratitude to the many who have risen to the occasion that day and afterward. This seems to me a literal example of the phrase "beauty for ashes" spoken of in Isaiah.

Photo of the Flight 93 memorial from here

This time of year also brings back vivid memories for me of another tragedy that struck a little closer to home. Three girls from my neighborhood were involved in a horrific car accident. All three were girls I was in Young Women with. We played basketball, went to camp, and saw each other at church every Sunday. I was a few years older and considered them to be like my little sisters. There was one fatality and the other two were seriously injured. I remember that I was working at the oral surgeon's office across from the hospital when I heard several ambulance sirens and helicopters. I remember thinking to myself that something really bad must have happened and went on about my work. Then the phone rang. My mom had called to tell me about the accident and asked me to meet them at the hospital. I walked into the hospital just as sweet Brittany was being wheeled out to the waiting LifeFlight helicopter. I learned the next day that Brittany had suffered serious internal injuries in addition to a spinal cord injury that left her paralyzed. She spent the next year in the hospital. I visited her when I could. She was later in my ward and I have fond memories of visiting her in her room at Sunshine Terrace and at the hospitals in Salt Lake and in Logan. I always visited Brittany hoping that I could lift her up in some small way, but left feeling lifted up myself. I've been so very impressed with the adversity she has overcome and the woman she is. She strives to help others and it has been a joy to see her around town. She competed in Ms. Wheelchair Utah this past weekend and girlfriend won. I am so proud of her! I congratulated her on Facebook and again, she left me feeling better about myself. This girl is beautiful inside and out and my life is richer for knowing her. She is one of my heroes for making the best of her circumstances. You can read more about Miss Brittany's title here.

Photo from here

School is definitely back in session at USU and traffic around town reflects the influx! Yesterday, there was a fiery crash involving a motorcycle and a car on campus. The motorcyclist was trapped under the car. Several bystanders worked together quickly to lift the car and pull the motorcyclist to safety. The whole thing was caught on video and has since gone viral. These people were at the right place at the right time and did the right thing. Those whose accounts I have read do not consider themselves to be heroes, but they definitely are. (Side note: I'm not saying that this wouldn't have happened in another city at another school, but this did happen in my hometown and my alma mater and I am proud to be from Cache Valley and proud to be an Aggie.)




Today, I am grateful for everyday heroes. They are everywhere around us. They often don't ask to be placed in the situations in which they find themselves, but they rise to the occasion and make me want to be a better person.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Same wavelength is right! It's inspiring, these people! Very cool story about the girl you were friends with in YW! What a great example of making the best of what you have!