Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tending Roses



I just finished reading Tending Roses by Lisa Wingate. It's about a woman who connects with her grandma and learns some good life lessons. It totally made me think of my grandma Kingsford and how much I miss her. She was such a funny lady and she did teach me some truly important life lessons. She taught me how to crochet. She taught me about gardening and what vegetables "get along" with others. I haven't had the opportunity to really use that knowledge, but someday I will! She taught me about music and how important hymns are. I can't even begin to imagine how many times I heard her sing "How Great Thou Art." Even with the wrong words, it was powerful. She taught me about how important a sense of humor is. She was so proud of the fact that she was still mentally with it most of the time in her twilight years. She would tell us over and over again how she still knew what 2 and 2 made. We'd ask her what it made and she would look at us with a straight face and say "5." She taught me how important family is. She taught me not to waste things. Certainly she wasn't perfect, but my life is richer for having had her in it. I recommend the book!



No comments: