Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ring Christmas Bells

Check Spelling
It has finally started to feel like Christmas for me. It took a while this year. Probably due to the lack of snow. After Saturday's storm, I think it's here to stay. I had the wonderful opportunity to attend the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert with Jessie, Craig, and Merri. It is an amazing experience and one everybody should have at least once. We attended the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast Sunday, the 14th. After the half-hour program, they continued and gave us a mini concert with numbers from the other full performances. We had the special treat to see President Monson present the artists with gifts commemorating their experience in Utah with the choir.


The musical guest this year was Brian Stokes Mitchell. I was so impressed with him! He had an amazing voice and so much grace. He introduced his family, including his father who is a WWII veteran. He sang a song called The Friendly Beasts. The song talks about the different animals in the stable on the night Christ was born. He sang in the style of the animals and the choir made the animal noises as background. I never thought I would hear the day when the Tabernacle Choir would sing like donkeys, but I sure did.

The other guest was Edward Herrmann. He narrated a few parts of the program. I was touched by the story he related about Longfellow and the song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." The song has deeper meaning for me now. To read the story, click here. It was funny to realize he played the rich husband in the movie Overboard and is currently in Gillmore Girls.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to go and enjoyed spending the time in great company.

No comments: