
I swear I find the funniest news stories sometimes. President and Mrs. Obama are in Europe for the G-20 Summit and they met with the Queen for the first time. Apparently, it's tradition for the visiting dignitary to offer the Queen a gift. President and Mrs. Obama presented the Queen with a fancy iPod loaded with selected music from Broadway shows on it. A lot of news stories say this was a bad move for Obama for several reasons: 1) She already has one. 2) She is 82 years old and may not be so technologically savvy. 3) He fouled up and gave the PM a bunch of DVDs that won't play in Europe (side note, like he couldn't find himself a nice American DVD player to use if he wanted to watch them?).
Far more funny was the gift the Obama's received from the Queen. They got a nicely framed (and autographed!) photo of the Queen herself and her husband, Prince Philip. I would have rather gotten the iPod! Apparently this is a standard gift from the British crown for visiting dignitaries. I laughed out loud. I now know what all of my friends and family are getting for gifts from now on. You can expect me to pick you out a nice frame and include a photo of yours truly!
Photo from New York Times, article can be found here.
No comments:
Post a Comment