I plunged headlong into my third decade of existence on this lovely planet earth and for posterity, I decided to impart some nuggets of wisdom I have learned because as the Primary song states (and Primary songs never lie), I should be one year older and wiser too.
About Life
Change is inevitable. It's best to embrace it and roll with it than try to resist it. As the Borg from Stark Trek say, "Resistance is futile." I've learned it's best not to waste time or energy on things that are futile. Because change happens, it's best to enjoy where you're at and proverbially bloom where you are planted. Easier said than done? Definitely.
About People
People are inherently good. There are some who go out of their way to make your life miserable, but they are the exception and not the rule and it is helpful to remember this when you feel wronged in some way. Also, it's not worth it to get offended. Easier said than done? For sure.
About Beauty
Beauty can be found in the most obscure places. There is something beautiful about all four seasons and something beautiful about everybody (even me). The trick is finding the beauty. Like finding the beauty in how the snow seems to shimmer a little more in the subzero temperatures when you can't feel your nose, fingers, or toes anymore and that was just from walking to your car. Easier said than done? Yup.
About Hard Things
Going through hard times and completing difficult tasks is . . . well hard and difficult. The important thing is to remember that "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13) The support of family and friends is invaluable through these rough patches and intense labors of love (i.e., my thesis). They help to encourage you and remind you that this too shall pass. Is remembering those things in the moment easier said than done? Totally.
About Love
What do I know about love being a single 30-year-old woman in Utah? Meaning I've been an old maid for the past 7 to 8 years? I know that it's better to be single and a little lonely than in a bad relationship and totally miserable. I know that someday my prince will come and it will have been worth the wait. Is the waiting easier said than done? You betcha.
In summary, most things in life are easier said than done. Take that for whatever it's worth! I will savor this transition phase of my existence. (Tangent: There's not really much difference between yesterday and today except that I have to pay more for my health insurance and have a different first digit to write when referencing my age, but I've already done that twice so it's not a big deal.) It's coming whether I like or not and as I've learned about life, change and age are inevitable so we might as well embrace them both. I plan to be "30, flirty, and thriving"* thank you very much.
*Reference to 13 going on 30 for those not up on their chick flick one-liners.

3 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACH!!!
You're so great! and wise! Thanks for all your wisdom. Sounds like you've got things under control. ;) Hope you have a Most Wonderful year! :D
oooh, a birthday buddy! I loved reading your thoughts on life. Hope you had a fantastic birthday- go 30's!
Post a Comment