Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy Endings


With so many things wrong in the world these days, it's easy to lose focus of what is right. I came across this article from Newsweek that I really appreciated. It's about the top 10 Happiest Endings from the past decade. There were some pretty horrible things that happened between 2000 and 2010 (September 11, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the tsunami are the ones that came first to my mind). I really enjoyed this article from Newsweek. New Year's is always a time of reflection and I think it's important that in our times of reflection, we learn from our mistakes, but that we also take the time to appreciate the good things and express gratitude.
Each story is worth a read. I'm putting their top 10 here and including a link to each of the stories. Each of the stories is written by a notable person close to the story.

10. Elizabeth Smart by Katie Couric.


9. Aron Ralston's Survival Story by Bear Grylls.


8. Martin Tankleff's Release from Prison by Eliot Spitzer.


7. Ashley Smith Robinson by Raina Kelley.


6. Subway Hero Wesley Autrey by Donald Trump.


5. Captain Phillips' Rescue by Christopher Dickey.


4. 2004 Red Sox Victory by Stephen King.


3. Rescued Miners in Pennsylvania by Elizabeth Vargas.


2. Rescue of Euna Lee and Laura Ling by Bill Clinton.


1. Miracle on the Hudson by Captain Chesley B. Sullenberger, III.


I really liked what Captain "Sully" had to say about the Miracle on the Hudson. They are timely words: "When our aircraft lifted off on that cold day in January, our world was an uncertain place. Americans were uneasy, facing a troubled economy at home and abroad. We questioned our collective competence. I think that the wonderful outcome of our brief flight over New York helped give people reason to feel hopeful again. In their interactions with me, people share a moment of joy. While we didn’t set out to do anything special, those of us who flew on Flight 1549 remind us all of the potential for good that exists in the world—and in each of us."

Here's to a new year and a new decade of happy endings!

2 comments:

Jules AF said...

It's nice to see some happy endings from that crappy decade! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I want to go to a game with you! Looks amazing...