Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Losing It!


I normally try to keep my blog pretty superficial. I don't view my blog as an online journal where I expose my deepest, most vulnerable feelings to anybody who might happen by. This post is deeper than I feel comfortable going, but I need some extra accountability.

If you know me at all, you know that I have struggled with my weight for about the past 10 years. I always thought I was fat in high school, but it turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. My thyroid struggles certainly haven't helped matters, but I haven't exactly taken care of my body the way that I should.

I recently started seeing a new doctor and got a big fat reality check. I've been diagnosed as prediabetic. My doctor wanted to see me again in 1 month to discuss the new diagnosis. I already know what he is going to tell me. He is going to tell me that I need to lose weight by watching what I eat and exercising. The bottom line is it really is that simple, yet it seems to be so difficult.

After some soul searching and talking with some friends who share my struggle, I decided I would feel a lot better about my upcoming doctor's visit if I were proactive in making the changes before he told me to. I have decided to go back to what I know has worked in the past and to what makes good sense to me logically and that is Weight Watchers. I went to my first meeting last Thursday evening and have been following the program since Friday. I hope never to see the number I started at on the scale again. I look forward to feeling better, fitting in my clothes better, and the satisfaction that will come from doing something difficult. I have decided to focus on diet changes for the first 2 weeks as I adjust to tracking what I eat and figuring out how best to get the program working in my everyday life. I will be joining the gym around Valentine's Day. What better way to celebrate a holiday centered around hearts than getting mine into tip top shape? It will be a long road. It took me 10 years to get here and it won't change overnight, however, it will change. 2011 is going to be my year and it starts now.

I may start a separate blog to document this journey, but may make it private. If anybody who happens upon this post is interested in seeing this next adventure in my life progress, leave a comment and let me know.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Way to be proactive! I've been trying to motivate myself to get off my butt and go to the gym. It's so hard in the winter, but that's when I need it the most. Hearing your goals, determination, and enthusiasm helps so much! Thanks for sharing and giving me a little extra resolve!

Miss Amanda said...

Rachel, that is awesome! What a motivating read. I am excited for your new journey.

Hannah said...

If you make a private blog on this, I want in! You'll be the inspiration I need to do the same. Good luck and I know you can do it!

P.S. The word verification for this comment is 'dingl'. (Hee, hee.)