Christmas seems to be the time to reminisce about the preceding year and share our achievements with family and friends via the traditional family Christmas letter. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy catching up on the lives of family and friends I care about yet rarely see and interact with during the year. I usually get my 2-sentence paragraph in the ol' family letter, but for the last few years, it has said basically the same thing. I still have the same job, haven't done any more school since the master's, haven't received any awards, and certainly haven't gotten married! I have spent lots of quality time with a great group of friends and of course my family. As I think about it, though, 2010 has still been a good year and there are several things worth reflecting on in addition to the everyday and mundane. I also learned something about myself. I love tradition. If I do something once and enjoy it, I will likely do it again! This year was filled with several repeats of events and activities I enjoy virtually every year. I look forward to adding more traditions to the mix in 2011.
For any family members or friends who read this and want more information than the 2-sentence paragraph from the family letter, here are the 2010 highlights:
January

Lark, Katie, and I after our NYE party
After attending a rockin' New Year's Eve party with some of my besties, we kept the annual
Lava Hot Springs tradition alive and had a great time. Poor Diva suffered an injury at the hands of some cruel person who hit her without leaving a note. (Soapbox: If you hit someone's car, leave a note with your info on it! Own up to your mistakes.)
February

I only wish this was how I looked during my ukulele debut!
I enjoyed watching the Winter Olympics. They will always have a special place in my heart since volunteering in 2002. Evan Lysacek is the man and I wish the US hockey team could have beat Canada. There's always 2014, right? I had allergy testing done and found out I'm basically allergic to everything. I played my ukulele at the ward talent show. It was not just a fail, but I'd say an epic fail! It was all in good fun and I need some serious practice. It did make me keep my New Year's resolution of figuring out how to play "You Are My Sunshine." I blame stage fright and tuning difficulties!
March
I love me some Tai Wesley. Watching USU basketball won't be the same after he graduates. Photo from here.
I attended some fantastic
Aggie basketball games. There's nothing quite like seeing the student section go nuts in the Spectrum where everything is "fully intended to leave you offended." The season didn't end quite the way I had hoped, but at least they got to go dancing.
April
My view from the lounge chair by the pool at Hearst Castle. This is a happy memory!
This crazy turkey thought Diva was out to get her. I now have an irrational fear of turkeys.
The excitement of this month was a trip to California. I went to Ventura with Lark and Lisa and we stayed in the mission home with President and Sister Murri. That trip was filled with good memories - Hearst Castle, a random turkey attack, and visits to Santa Monica and the beach.
May
I kept the annual tradition of going to the
horse pulling matches for Black and White Days. It's good to embrace your inner redneck occasionally.
June
I love this painting of Summerfest. There are years and years of happy memories of attending this event. Photo from here. July
Some of my favorite people following the fireworks.
July festivities included the usual celebrations with my peeps. Fireworks were great this year. I went to the demolition derby where the winning driver was a female which I thought was cool. My pals and I also attended the latest Juanito Bandito installment at Pickleville. July brought the year's biggest change when I moved to Smithfield to live with my parents where I'm currently trying to decide what to do with the rest of my life and save some money. It's been a good move with no regrets.
August
August was spent recovering from the move and playing with my new iPhone. I went to Bear Lake with a friend and it was wonderful.
September
This is a horrible picture, but it's the only one we got of all of us! I guess we need to go again next year.
September brought a release from my
calling as Relief Society president. I have missed close associations with the wonderful women I had the privilege to know and serve. I do not miss meetings or making final decisions on things! It was a good experience that I am grateful for and I'm also grateful to have been able to step aside and let someone else learn from it. I had a wonderful trip with some of my besties to the Provo area for the Colors concert. We had a great time together. September also saw the resolution of my thyroid issues.
October
I wish I had a better camera to truly capture how stunning this was. I'm proud of this photo, though.
I had a fantastic trip to Yellowstone with my mom and grandma the first weekend of October. I had the goal of seeing a moose, but it was not realized. I did, however, see river otters, a gorgeous bluebird, pronghorn sheep, wolves, a coyote, and the usual masses of bison and elk. The fall colors were stunning and one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life was the Tetons reflected in a smooth-as-glass Jenny Lake. I wish the photo could do it justice. I got lost in the corn (but not for long) and Diva got her New Year's wound repaired.
November

So the blizzard didn't bring a lot of snow, but it was really windy and cold. My mantra driving home from work was "Steer into the skid, pump the brakes, steer into the skid, pump the brakes . . ." Photo by Rachel Christensen from here.
Thanksgiving was going to be spent in Idaho Falls, but due to snowpocalypse remained in Smithfield. It was a very relaxing day and nice to spend with the family.
December
December hasn't been filled with anything too major, but I'm greatly anticipating a wonderful Christmas celebration with my family. I am grateful for the good job I have, the good-lookin' car I drive, wonderful friends who will keep random traditions with me, family who love and accept me, and my faith which keeps me centered and at peace.
I hope anybody who comes across my happy little home on the interwebs has a great holiday with plenty of fun times with family and friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment