Monday, August 15, 2011

Answered Prayers



Last month, I found myself in the funk of all funks. You might say I was funked up. There were a lot of things swirling around in my brain and several mole hills were turning into mountains. I was feeling pretty picked on and getting despondent. I know I am blessed and I have much to be grateful for and I knew this at the time, but the funk was so overwhelming I found myself forgetting. As I was getting ready to leave for work, I prayed so sincerely and simply that I could feel God's love for me that day. I just needed that reassurance. I drove to work and as I was walking across the parking lot, my eyes were drawn down toward the ground. One of the most beautiful butterflies I have ever seen in my life was sitting on someone's tire. At first, I thought it was fake. Then I thought it must have been run over and was dead and then I saw it move. This may have been pure coincidence, but the calming I felt was undeniably an answer to my prayer. I felt such reassurance and peace wash over me. I stopped and grabbed my phone so I could take a picture of my new little friend. I can't say that all the mountains have moved back down to mole hill size or that I don't still have concerns and questions, but I didn't feel that sense of desperation anymore.


The colors of the butterfly stood out so brightly against the black tire that my eyes were drawn to it. I don't know that the butterfly would have been as bright if it hadn't been sitting on the dark tire. I think we notice God's love and our blessings more during the dark times of our lives.

No comments: