
This is a toughie, but I'm grateful for my body. I swear it hates me sometimes (and I hate it sometimes), but it seems to bounce back from injuries and illnesses! I don't have it as easy as some people, but I certainly don't have it as hard! I watched a show on Discovery Channel the other night on conjoined twins and the problems they have to endure. There are problems if they're separated and there are problems if they're joined together. There's really no great option for them! One of the biggest ways my body has rebelled against me is with Graves' disease where my immune system attacked my thyroid gland and it went AWOL doing way more than it was supposed to. I feel very fortunate that I was able to get diagnosed correctly and that the treatment was relatively easy. After the radioactive iodine, I will need to take a replacement for the rest of my life. It stinks when my dose needs to be readjusted, but my medication is fairly inexpensive and I certainly feel a lot better than I did with the Graves'. It could be much worse with a disease such as lupus, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, etc. The medications used to treat those conditions can be extremely expensive and often have bad side effects.
The second thing I'm grateful for (this counts for today and yesterday) is my eyesight. Since these 2 are related, I decided to combine the post. I had the wonderful opportunity to have LASIK a few years ago. Prior to the LASIK, I had been in glasses or contacts since the age of 5. When I read Lord of the Flies in middle school, I developed a new phobia. Not about an unruly mob of boys, but about not being able to see if I didn't have my glasses! I lost my fair share of contacts (one is somewhere in the bottom of Bloomington Lake) and it's nice that I don't have that concern anymore. I can wake up and see my alarm clock without fumbling around for my glasses and I don't have to worry about not seeing or having to wear my glasses in the swimming pool. Plus, it takes me less time to get ready for bed and ready for the day in the morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment