
Here's #7! I'm grateful for freedom. Like everybody else in this great country, I've been embroiled in politics. The presidential election, the gay marriage debate, and a few other issues have especially weighed heavily on my mind. I tried put a lot of thought into my decisions at the voting booth as I left my print with millions of my fellow citizens. As I voted, I couldn't help but reflect at how blessed I am to have the privilege. Like many people, I don't know that my vote really counts for all that much, but then again, it does. Even though it feels like you don't have any good options to vote for sometimes, the process is important.
I've been concerned with Proposition 8 in California just like everybody else. The news has been filled these last few days with protests over the proposition's passing and the subsequent banning of gay marriage. I have thought a lot about it, discussed it with some friends, and read statements from the church regarding its support of the coalition. Even with all of that, I don't know the answers. I see these protesters and while I don't agree with all that they're saying in protest and certainly don't like my faith and the leaders of my faith being attacked, I'm thankful that they have the freedom to protest. It's part of the democratic process. It's important for all voices to be heard and if I ever felt passionately enough about something to protest, I'm grateful for the right to do so. I'm glad I live in a place where I can speak my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment